Coming home after a long day and a longer week, you start to assess the damage.
Your body aches and your head pounds. You grumble, “Good thing it’s Friday.”
As you get ready for your yoga class, meditation group, massage appointment, etc… you await the relief it will bring!
“I don’t think I could have handled another day of that” you sigh.
You spend the rest of the weekend trying to fully recover, but it’s over too soon… if only you had a couple more days off!
For many people, the juggling of family, work, and social responsibilities can be a daunting task, never mind finding enough personal time to fully recover from it all.
One of the best solutions lies in the practice of stress micromanagement.
This article explains why stress micromanagement is so important and gives you 4 simple steps to help you get started.
Why micromanaging stress is so important:
1. Micromanaging your stress levels can prolong the positive benefits you get from relaxing activities/environments.
2. Micromanaging stress allows you to fully recover from its effects faster and with the use of less resources/energy.
3. Micromanaging stress allows you to remain calm, think clearly, and act appropriately.
4. Micromanaging your stress levels can help to prevent leisure sickness
Essentially, you stay healthier, feel happier, are productive longer, and have more time to do the things you love to do.
Get started today by following these 4 simple steps:
1. Continuously pay attention to what and how you are feeling throughout the day. At the slightest hint of stress, tension, fear or anxiety…
2. Breathe in through the nose as you slowly count to 3, let your abdomen and chest expand fully. Pause. Then, exhale through your mouth while slowly counting to 6. Pause and repeat while you…
3. Release physical tension by stretching, shaking, or massaging it out. Inhale and tighten, exhale and relax as you…
4. Release emotional tension by accepting your situation, smiling as you try to find something positive about the mess you’re in.
Micromanaging stress is highly beneficial. It can be done quickly, anywhere, at anytime, and is well worth the effort.
While these steps are simple, maintaining constant awareness of how you are feeling throughout the hustle and bustle of your day can be challenging to say the least.
Have fun with it, be patient with yourself, and practice, practice, practice!